It’s not at all surprising that the taxi failed the MOT, however I’m slightly worried that the reasons behind the failure will now put the taxi off the road for a long time.

As I mentioned in my last post, I was expecting a failure as the MOT expired over 2 years ago and something was bound to crop up. I was expecting a worn wheel bearing, oil leak, brake pads, bad tyres or something easily fixable to crop up. Instead, the mechanic (quite rightly) flagged a significant amount of rust around the body mounts as being dangerous and in need of some serious attention.

I had seen the rust he was talking about in the last video I made where I went underneath the car, but in all honesty I hadn’t realised that the rust was where a body mount should have been. A body mount is the section of the chassis where the body bolts onto with a rubber bushing to absorb vibrations. On my taxi all 4 of these have rust problems to varying degrees.

I will have a closer look at these and make another video so I can work out the extent of the work that needs to be done. I’m a bit disappointed that I won’t be able to get the taxi roadworthy just by buying and fitting a new part, rather it’s going to need a significant amount of cutting, fabricating and welding new metal into fairly inaccessible spaces…

Aside from the body mount rust, the mechanic also flagged the rust in the boot floor, loose wiring in the boot, dodgy headlights and a leak in the power steering box. All of these should be relatively straightforward fixes I hope, although the steering box has always leaked and I’m not sure what will be in store when tackling that.

All in all, it’s a bit of a setback, but I always knew the rust was going to catch up with me at some point – I just presumed it was going to be bodywork issues rather than the underside!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here